The University Application Boot Camp is designed to help you get the most out of the mentoring programme and to help you feel more prepared for applying to and going to university.
You'll take part in various workshops and activities throughout the day:
1. Outstanding Personal Statement Workshop
The personal statement workshop explains the research the Academic Apprenticeship is based on. During this workshop you will:
- receive advice on the ideal structure of the personal statement and the level of detail to provide in each section
- look at examples of what an outstanding personal statement looks like
- learn how to edit and improve each section of the personal statement
- take part in group discussions, group editing activities and individual planning tasks.
You'll leave the workshop with a full understanding of how to write an outstanding personal statement, and with material for each section.
2. Research Topic Workshop
During this workshop you will:
- receive advice on writing a research paragraph for your personal statement
- look at examples of outstanding research paragraphs
- complete a research project to add academic enrichment to your personal statement
- give a group presentation on your research.
3. Transition to University Workshop
The transition to university workshop will provide you with:
- advice on how to choose the right course and university
- an introduction to student finance
- advice on how to deal with the transition.
You'll leave the workshop with an improved understanding of your choices, improved knowledge of student finance and an action plan for your next steps.
Boot camp locations
The boot camps will be taking place in 3 locations across the UK. Lunch will be provided, and we can reimburse your travel expenses.
- Newcastle (10:30am-3:30pm, Thursday 19th July 2018)
- Liverpool (10:30am-3:30pm, Thursday 26th July 2018)
- London (10:30am-3:30pm, Monday 30th July 2018)